Monday, October 6, 2008

Australia

Wow!! Australia has been extremely good to me. We did not have much time in Australia so we decided to stay put in Cairns for about 10 days. For the first two days, Halen, Taylor, and I rented scooters. It was beautiful, we rode up the mountains and through the rain forest to a lake that is sitting on top of a mountain. I felt like I was on the set of Jurassic Park. There were no people, just mother Earth. Words nor pictures can describe the view.

The next few days were spent out on the Great Barrier Reef. The reef is about 20 miles from the coast so it was an awesome boat ride out there. I snorkeled with some of the most beautiful fish in the world and even touched a sea turtle and a few clown fish. I felt like a young Jacques Cousteau and a Steve Irwin. I remember watching Jacques Cousteau constantly on TV as a kid and, it was surreal to be in the same places where he dove.

After spending quality time on the reef, I decided to do a little sky diving. I jumped from 14,000 feet and had a free fall of a 60 seconds. The feeling was crazy, and at times I felt my brain moving towards my feet. We fell through a cloud where there was a tiny rainbow from the sun being behind you. You could see your own shadow in the small rainbow until you passed the clouds. Pretty psychedelic!
The bats here are the size of vultures so that is pretty cool I guess. Huge flocks will come out at sunset so I feel like I'm back in Austin a bit. Off to Vietnam now.
Click here to see ALL my Australia pictures and slideshow.

1 comment:

YOONA said...

the white sand amazing beautiful